Saturday, April 23, 2016

Fathers' Day Nautical Thank You Card

While a number of the challenges I used to play in have closed their doors,
I was pleased to find that Just Add Ink is still going strong.  This week the challenge is to use the letter "M".  I'm pretty well ready for Mothers' Day cards, but Fathers' Day seems to always sneak up, doesn't it?  So my card for JAI this week is Manly.
 
 
DH is pretty used to a twine bow or something of that sort on the front on his card.  But if the other menfolk in your family are anything like my father and brothers,
they complain about embellishments.  A lot.
So although the card(s) I made for this year do have embellishments, they are kept to a minimum.
Zigzag edge-stitching, twine knot, single brad.
I cannot be accused of frou-frou Fathers' Day cards this year.
 
 
 
Now, I have a long history with nautical cards.  It's a long and fairly pleasant one. 
Maybe I should call it more of a QUEST.
It really started way back in 2009 with a rigorous competition at Kazan and Laura's fabulous but now-retired 2S4Y.  This was my sailing action card, which actually moves across the page and hoists a US Navy flag semaphore sequence that spells out "FATHER".  It was pretty awesome.  If you follow the link you can see the video of how it works.
Dad still complained about the bow.
 
 
Then there was this one:
 
They said it had flowers on the front. 
Nevermind they are *clearly* Spanish-tile-inspired MANDALAS from Papertrey Ink. 
Geez.  Hard win.
 
So I set aside nautical cards for a little while, but this year I'm back and frankly I think the series is my most masculine card series yet.  What do you think?  Will they approve?



With all that text as part of the overall design on the map, I'll play along with another old favorite challenge, Lil' Red Wagon!  This is their Challenge #338.  Wow, it seems like forever since I was playing, back in 2010 and 2011.  The flashbacks are so strange.
 

Materials Used on this Card:
Cardstock {Papertrey Ink} Patterned papers {"Cape Cod" collection by The Paper Studio}
 Sticker and Brad {Spare Parts by TPS}
Cotton twine
 
 
For those of you who are interested, the knot is a square knot, very straightforward.
If you want to include an element like this in your own project, just know that pretty much any knot
will look nicer and more impressive too if you tie it with two or three strands, being careful to keep them lying flat and even.
 
Thanks so much for dropping by!
Before you go, hop over to my quilting and gardening blog, Gardener's Thread, 
to enter for a Tula Pink book giveaway!
That giveaway will remain open until I finish my Spring-weaver quilt. 
I'll be hosting another craft cleanout giveaway here soon, so do check back.
 
Be well,
--Kathryn
 

4 comments:

  1. Such a cool card! That paper is perfect for a masculine card and so is that knot! Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon. (P.S. Your other cards are great too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the fabulous but simple knot, Kathryn! Your nautical cards are fabulous but I believe there's something in male DNA which requires them to complain about any 'embellishment." :-D So glad to hear you're going to be hanging around MHK Designs. What a wonderful addition that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think you hit manly right on with this design Kathryn. It would be most unfair to complain about a nautical knot! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really envy that knot! Mine always seem to end up pulled too tight and don't look as fabulous as yours! Thanks for sharing your very Manly card with us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments -- they add an extra smile to my day. I hope yours is happy and bright as well, no matter where you are visiting from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails